Paul White: The man
Paul White is an ex-policeman with a corporate background and rock hard reputation as an outstanding rugby player and coach. It's hard to find such a combination in the world generally, and particularly difficult to have one of them leave the corporate world and take up the challenges of running a rugby team. Nevertheless, Paul White and Broncos have done it, and this may well be the beginning of a new tradition if things work out as well as they promise to be. The data given below will explain why fans are elated over the news, and why Paul White and Broncos seem made for each other.
The background of Paul White:
- Twenty years in Queensland police service
- Won the National Service Medal and Queensland Police Service Medal while in the police service
- Included in the Queensland Police Team of the Century in 2008
- Staff coach at the Queensland Academy of Sport Emerging Origin Players program for 2001, 2003, and 2004
- Captained both North Queensland and Central Queensland rugby teams and was a premiership player/coach for several townships
- Queensland coach for the under 17 team in 2006
- Has an MBA
- Selected for the Vincent Fairfax Fellowship Award in 2007-2008 and engaged in an advanced leadership program
- Worked successfully for a number of years in Xstrata Zinc
- Currently senior executive in Anglo American Metallurgical Coal company
On the appointment of Paul White as Broncos CEO, the Broncos Chairman, Darryl Somerville said, ''Paul's background and experience make him an ideal person to fill the role of chief executive of the WOW Brisbane Broncos... He has worked in senior corporate positions for many years. He has an MBA and also has a very long and successful rugby league career both as a player and a coach... Paul will hit the ground running and I know he is looking forward to it.'' The situation can rarely be summed up in a better fashion. From his side Paul White has been sending all the right signals including his decisions to continue with and keep supporting existing policies as well as personnel like the coach. He is focused more on expansion and conversion than on shrinkage and rejection. All in all, Paul White seems the best bet for Broncos to boost its business as well as game prospects.