Indianapolis Public Schools
Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Band / Instrumental Music Teacher (2017/18 School Year)
Location or Department:
Arlington Community High School
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
The teacher will plan lessons, carry out, evaluate, and supervise instructional activities in music for groups and individual students. Must have Extensive training in and knowledge of current music instructional techniques, of high school instrumental music programs, and of the different instrument families is required.
Bachelor’s Degree required from four-year college or university.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Include duties and/or responsibilities and why job exist)
- Help to recruit students and maintain their interest in a orchestra music program.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date online records, projects, calendars, journals, and portfolios, and submit required reports promptly.
- Assume responsibilities in music department productions.
- Organize performance ensembles.
- Participate in City Orchestra activities.
- Accept responsibilities for supervision and direction of scheduled student performances and rehearsals.
- Demonstrate effective communications skills and stage presence.
- Work with visiting artists and volunteers effectively, when appropriate.
- Attend and participate in required in-service activities and assist in planning and conducting such activities.
- Coordinate with elementary VH1 String Programs.
- Communicate electronically with students, parents, and other staff members concerning student academic progress, attendance, and behavior.
- Conduct classes in musical theatre, ensembles, and other groups as assigned.
- Oversee internships when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Work with other teachers to develop and organize an integrated music curriculum that meets state, district, and school standards.
- Use rubric-based authentic assessment methods to evaluate students’ progress.
- Maintain a classroom environment consistent with established codes of conduct that is conducive to positive learning
- Establish and maintain excellent rapport with students, parents, staff members, and community members.
- Work cooperatively with other personnel to improve instructional programs and the overall operation of the school.
- Perform basic repairs on instruments
- Attend and participate in all staff and curriculum development workshops, and professional reading groups, sometimes held during the summer and/or outside of the regular instructional day. After-school activities will not exceed 4 hrs. /week.
- Actively encourage parent involvement in the educational process.
- Actively seek resources to enhance the instructional program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to find, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above job description is designed to denote the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on the Apply Now button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education America Network.
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Indianapolis Public Schools
Website : http://www.ips.k12.in.us/
The Indianapolis Public Schools Transportation Department strives to support student achievement by providing safe, timely, and quality transportation service for all eligible students in accordance with the Board of School Commissioners policies and procedures.