This part-time position is responsible for assisting the recreation center supervisor and staff in planning, organizing and implementing recreational activities for children, ages 5 -13 years old at the center. This position helps maintain a high level of customer service for the patrons of the City parks recreational centers.
Hours are generally 3 to 4 hours per day, Monday-Friday, but extra hours may be required for special events. Some evenings and weekend dates may also be required.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: * denotes an essential function of the job
* *Assists with planning, organizing and implementing recreational activities for children, ages 5 -13 years old at a recreation center.
* *Be familiar with rules and regulations for all games and sports activities implemented for youth.
* *Must be able to supervise junior helpers.
* *Able to reinforce proper social skills with children and /or teenagers.
* CPR/First Aid preferred.
* *Report any problems or complaints to the center supervisor.
* *Must demonstrate common sense with disciplinary action of youth and adhere to all rules and agency policies.
* *Assist center supervisor with youth sign-in sheets and all necessary paperwork.
* May meet with community individuals and groups to generate interest, support, and ideas for programs using creative and innovative promotional ideas and materials.
* *Must perform job duties in a safe manner, reporting and assisting in correcting potentially unsafe conditions and able to use necessary equipment and materials properly.
* *A well-groomed appearance while on the job is required. Uniformed shirts issued by the department must be worn daily and appropriate footwear to avoid injury is required.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
* Demonstrate informative and professional assistance when working with vendors, co-workers, and the public.
* Act independently and suggest procedures and new approaches to problems.
* Display excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Maintain initiative to preserve the flow of work.
* Work under stress and with commitment to deadlines.
* Sustain interpersonal relationships which encourage openness, candor and trust, both internally and with the general public.
* Complete projects and/or reports in accurate and timely manner
* Maintain City information in a confidential manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Ability to work as a team member.
* Display professional appearance, warm demeanor and positive attitude.
* Be a motivated self-starter.
* Work independently and to be accurate, efficient and organized.
* Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Work under pressure with time constraints in a changing environment.
* Stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl occasionally.
* Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds occasionally.
* Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS:
* This position requires working in both an internal and outside environment.
* This position requires a flexible work schedule; night and/or weekends may be required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
* High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
* Knowledge of City's park and recreation facilities, activities, and programs is helpful.
* Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in written form.
* A pleasant, friendly, and outgoing demeanor.
* Willingness to take on additional tasks as assigned.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS:
* Possible use of computer and peripherals.
* Recreational equipment.